There are a number of symptoms associated with different medical disorders, but pain is that one symptom that can limit a person’s ability to perform day-to-day tasks and impact their personal and professional life significantly. While there are a number of modern-day pain relief techniques and medicines available, very few of them effectively relieve pain and help a patient live an independent, pain-free life. Acupuncture has gained immense popularity over the past few decades because of its effectiveness in treating acute and chronic pains without causing any significant side effects.
Numerous scientific studies have provided solid evidence regarding the potential of acupuncture in pain therapy. In this article, we are listing some of those scientific evidence and conditions in which acupuncture can be effectively used for pain relief.
Acupuncture for Pain Relief – The Scientific Evidence
1. Acupuncture is effective for treating dental pain and nausea – The National Institute of Health
The National Institute of Health released a consensus statement in 1997 stating that acupuncture can be used for the treatment of dental pain and nausea associated with pregnancy, chemotherapy, and surgery. The panel also suggested that the role of acupuncture in the treatment of other medical disorders should also be evaluated.
2. Acupuncture for pain relief in osteoarthritis of knee – A US NIH Study
A major study was conducted to evaluate the role of acupuncture in relieving the pain caused by osteoarthritis of knee. 570 patients suffering from knee osteoarthritis took part in this study and it was concluded that acupuncture relieves pain and improves movement when used in conjunction with standard care.
3. Acupuncture for the management of chronic neck pain – University of Southampton
The University of Southampton recruited 124 patients in a research study to evaluate the role of acupuncture in the relief of chronic neck pain. The patients were provided acupuncture therapy for 12 weeks and it was concluded that acupuncture caused a 60 percent decreased in the pain levels.
How Acupuncture Promotes Acute and Chronic Pain Relief?
Now that we know that there is scientific evidence regarding the use of acupuncture for pain relief, let’s have a look at the different ways through which acupuncture relieves acute and chronic pains.
- Acupuncture relieves pain by stimulating the nerves located beneath the skin.
- Acupuncture promotes release of endorphins – body’s natural pain-relieving hormones.
- Acupuncture changes the processing of pain impulses in the nervous system.
- Acupuncture along with Massage Therapy promotes additional Relief
Using the above three mechanisms, acupuncture can treat a variety of acute and chronic pains of varying intensity. Typical chronic pain conditions in which acupuncture can prove to be useful include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic shoulder and neck pain
- Chronic back pain
- Migraine and other types of headaches
- Pain associated with cancer
- Pain associated with different neuropathic conditions, such as herpes, trigeminal neuralgia, and sciatica.
In addition to this, acupuncture can be used safely in several other medical conditions as a part of integrated care plan. The alternative medicine technique is particularly useful for individuals who have experienced intolerable side effects with traditional pain relief techniques and medicines.
Take better care of your health and well-being with acupuncture. Contact Saint John Acupuncture clinic to schedule your appointment.